- 12 Jul 2021
The Cellnex Foundation is born to narrow digital, social and territorial divides through connectivity
The new project complements the company’s ESG strategy
Lluís Deulofeu presides the Cellnex Foundation, following a long career in top-level managerial positions in the group.
The main beneficiaries will be vulnerable people and territories with the greatest connectivity shortcomings.
Its scope of action will initially focus on Spain and will subsequently evolve to all the markets where Cellnex is present.
Barcelona, 12 July 2021. Cellnex Telecom, the leading European operator of wireless telecommunications infrastructure, has just announced the creation and launch of the Cellnex Foundation to narrow digital, social and territorial divides through projects to improve access to connectivity.
The Cellnex Foundation responds to Cellnex Telecom’s firm will to go one step further in contributing to a better connected and socially inclusive environment as a comprehensive initiative that complements the company’s ESG (Environment, Social and Governance) strategy.
The idea behind the Foundation is to create a dynamic tool at the service of people, helping to transform personal and collective situations of vulnerability while contributing to improving the environment. The Foundation’s main fields of action will involve bringing people at risk of exclusion closer to technology by promoting effective connectivity, fostering better connections in territories and areas with special heritage or historical relevance, and promoting positive solutions for the environment.
The organisation chart of the new Cellnex Foundation has been defined as follows:
- Lluís Deulofeu, Deputy CEO of Cellnex until last January
- Tobías Martínez, CEO of Cellnex Telecom
- Aurora Catà, Chairman of Barcelona Global
- Josep Martínez Vila, CEO of Saba Infraestructuras
- Rosa Piñol, formerly Resources Director at Cellnex Telecom
- Toni Brunet, Public and Corporate Affairs Director at Cellnex Telecom
- General Manager:
- Àngels Ucero, Environment, Climate Change and Risk Management Director at Cellnex Telecom
- Secretary of the Board of Trustee:
- Virginia Navarro, Legal M&A and Financing Director at Cellnex Telecom
For Lluís Deulofeu, Chairman of the Cellnex Foundation, “Facilitating connectivity effectively can be a key component for intervention and improvement of inclusion of people at social risk. No one should live disconnected.” He added that the Foundation will work “based on a principle of social equity in addition to actively working to generate sustainable actions at all levels.”
Àngels Ucero, General Manager of the Cellnex Foundation, underscored that “we must take advantage of the knowledge generated and the resources available in the Cellnex group to promote positive changes with an impact on the lives of people and their surroundings.”
In addition to action on individuals and groups, the Cellnex Foundation also plans to promote innovative projects with a social impact, selected in special calls.
The activity model designed for the Cellnex Foundation is based on three pillars:
- Proprietary programmes led by the Foundation
- The Foundation’s flagship programme seeks to “improve connectivity” and bring technology closer to rural areas to mitigate the needs derived from the territorial, social and digital divide.
- Joint programmes
- These are programmes led in partnership with other public or private bodies or institutions to respond to specific needs consistent with Cellnex’s activity.
- Corporative volunteering
- The existing Cellnex Volunteer Programme is integrated into the Cellnex Foundation. It involves employees and former employees of the company in corporate volunteering initiatives aligned with the Foundation’s strategic lines. Special emphasis is placed on accompanying people and improving the environment.
The Cellnex Foundation was created with an endowment of one million euros.
During the first months of activity, its scope of action will focus on Spain before progressively expanding to the different countries in which Cellnex operates.
About Cellnex Telecom
Cellnex Telecom is Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications and broadcasting infrastructures with a portfolio of around 129,000 sites, about 91,000 of which are already operative, and the rest in the process of finalisation or planned roll-outs up to 2030.
Cellnex operates in Spain, Italy, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, the UK, Ireland, Portugal, Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Poland. Cellnex’s business is structured in four major areas: telecommunications infrastructure services; audiovisual broadcasting networks, security and emergency service networks and solutions for smart urban infrastructure and services management (Smart cities and the “Internet of Things” (IoT)).
The company is listed on the continuous market of the Spanish stock exchange and is part of the selective IBEX 35 and EuroStoxx 600 indices. It is also included in the main sustainability indexes such as CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), Sustainalytics, MSCI, FTSE4GOOD and Standard Ethics.
Cellnex’s reference shareholders include GIC, Edizione, Canada Pension Plan, CriteriaCaixa, Wellington Management Group, Capital Group, Blackrock, Fidelity and Norges Bank.
For more information: https://www.cellnextelecom.com