- 05 Oct 2020
Cellnex will manage the mobile telecommunications infrastructures of Metro Madrid
- The company acquires Indra’s stake in Metrocall (60%), the neutral operator that provides the mobile connectivity service in Madrid’s suburban transport network. The remaining 40% of Metrocall will continue to be controlled by Metro de Madrid.
Madrid, 5 October 2020. Cellnex Telecom and Indra have reached an agreement through which the telecommunications infrastructure operator has acquired the 60% stake that the technology company held in Metrocall, the neutral operator that manages and operates the telecommunications infrastructure and services in Madrid’s suburban transport network.
Metrocall, set up in 2000 and in which Metro de Madrid holds the remaining 40%, is the company that operates the telecommunications services in the Spanish capital’s underground system. Metrocall provides service to the main mobile operators, with whom it has long-term service contracts (ten years), for use of their infrastructures to provide coverage and mobile connectivity to users of the Madrid underground system (677 million passengers in 2019).
With this acquisition, Cellnex reinforces the portfolio of telecommunications infrastructures that it manages for transport networks and suburban environments, which notably include connectivity services for the Milan and Brescia underground systems, and the communications networks for security and emergencies in line 9 of the Barcelona underground and that of Valencia. It also equips the AVE high-speed train tunnels in Barcelona and on the Girona – Figueres line.
About Cellnex Telecom
Cellnex Telecom is Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications and broadcasting infrastructures with a portfolio of 61,000 sites including forecast roll-outs up to 2027. Cellnex operates in Spain, Italy, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Portugal. Cellnex’s business is structured in four major areas: telecommunications infrastructure services; audiovisual broad-casting networks, security and emergency service networks and solutions for smart urban infrastructure and ser-vices management (Smart cities e the “Internet of Things” (IoT)).
The company is listed on the continuous market of the Spanish stock exchange and is part of the selective IBEX 35 and EuroStoxx 600 indices. It is also part of the FTSE4GOOD and CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) and “Standard Ethics” sustainability indexes. Cellnex’s reference shareholders include Edizione, GIC, ADIA, CriteriaCaixa, Blackrock, Wellington Management Group and Canada Pension Plan.